Asparagus and Pork is one of my favourite combinations for stir-frying. Today, I used Shio Koji as a seasoning.
Shio Koji can make the meat tender after marinating it, as well as giving it a distinctive flavour.
If you want to use it for stir-frying, I recommend cooking after marinating the meat so that you can enjoy the benefit of Shio Koji (because the enzyme in Shio Koji won’t be active at high temperature).
Shio Koji has a mild saltiness, so you may not want to add extra salt when you are cooking. I didn’t add any salt to my dish today either.
Here is the recipe for Stir-Fried Asparagus and Pork Marinated with Shio Koji!
Ingredients for Stir-Fried Asparagus and Pork Marinated with Shio Koji
- Sliced Pork: 200g
- Asparagus: a bunch
- Vegetable Oil: 1 tablespoon
- Shio Koji: 1 tablespoon
- Garlic, Ginger, Black pepper or Red Chilli, some other seasonings as you like
How to make Stir-Fried Asparagus and Pork Marinated with Shio Koji
- Marinate the sliced pork with Shio Koji for 30 minutes.
- Cut asparagus, boil and drain them while marinating the pork.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok, put your favourite seasonings (I put crushed garlic and chopped ginger).
- Add the pork with Shio Koji in the wok, cook until it gets coloured and crispy. You can add black pepper here if you like.
- After the pork is almost cooked, add asparagus and stir them.
- After the asparagus is heated (you can add red chillis here), serve it.
What is Shio Koji?
Shio Koji (塩こうじ/塩麹/塩糀) is a Japanese fermented ingredient. It’s made of salt, water and Rice Koji (米こうじ/米糀/米麹). It is called a “magical seasoning” useful for any purpose. We can use it to marinate or tenderize.