Shio Koji can make fish tender as well as adding a mild aroma. To enjoy its benefits I recommend marinating fish fillets before cooking it.
Steam baking fish in foil is one of the most popular foods in Japan. If you wrap the fish and sliced vegetable with a sheet of foil, you can also cook it in a frying pan or on a grill.
Ingredients for Baked Fish Fillet with Shio Koji in foil
- Fish fillets: 400g (2 pieces)
- Shio Koji: 2 tablespoons
- Sliced Vegetables: Onion, Carrot, Green Onion, Mushroom
- Black Pepper or your flavour seasonings
How to make Baked Fish Fillet with Shio Koji in foil
- Apply 1 tablespoon of Shio Koji onto fish fillets and leave it in the fridge for an hour.
- On a baking container, put the fish marinated with Shio Koji, add another 1 tablespoon of Shio Koji on and put the sliced vegetables on the top.
- Add black pepper if you like, and cover it with foil.
- Cook in the oven for 30-45 mins at 200C.
- Serve it and add soy sauce if you like.
What is Shio Koji?
Shio Koji (塩こうじ/塩麹/塩糀) is a Japanese fermented ingredient. It’s made of salt, water and Rice Koji (米こうじ/米糀/米麹). It is called a “magical seasoning” useful for any purpose. We can use it to marinate or tenderize.